Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Tips on Buying Leather Sofas

This is Part Two on buying leather sofas...



I finished the construction aspects of my home theater over the summer, however never actually placed much furniture into it. I had my eye on a Lane Wakefield Sofa (pictured above) which I saw in a furniture store down south for $899. I figured that it should be easy to find the same sofa at a retailer near my home but I was sadly mistaken.

The first store I visited was Nassau's Furniture in Avon CT where the sales person told me that I couldn't order this sofa in Blackberry as the color is no longer available. She did indicate that I could order it in another color but for a retail price of $1499. Later, I learned that salespeople tend to tell lies whenever a consumer finds a price that happens to be lower than the store wants to sell it for or when it reduces the commission that the salesperson makes. Sadly, this experience has caused me to not only trust this retailer but to tell others about it.

Nassau's did indicate though that they had the same sofa in stock in another color for $1099 but I decided to pass and figured that there would be another retailer that would be willing to help me.

Yesterday, I visited Pilgrim Furniture in Southington CT as they are usually cheaper. They had the sofa on floor but I almost fell over after seeing the sticker price of $1299. They told me that the sofa has a list price of $1,999. I wanted to tell the salesperson to shove it somewhere but simply told him I will purchase it on clearance as part of your going out of business sale and walked away.

Down the road was Bob's Discount Furniture who sells lower quality made in China pieces. I figured I would compromise a little on quality in hopes of putting my frustration behind me. Imagine walking into the store and seeing over ten salespeople all idle. I thought to myself, that they must be getting paid 100% commission as no retailer could afford so many people sitting idly.

I learned that in the furniture profession, many folks are exploited by furniture store owners who may have folks work hard and not even earn a nickel for the day. Anyway, all of his sofas were of nebulous quality. One characteristic of a higher-quality sofa is that the cushions should be removable. If you ever run across a sofa with fixed cushions, you should avoid it like the plaque.

The very first thing to wear out in a sofa is usually the cushions. If you don't have the ability to replace them, then you will be buying another one in a couple of years (if you are lucky to have it last that long).

Another characteristic of a higher-quality sofa is to only order sofas that have equivalent models that convert into beds. They have to be made to higher standard and likewise will also have to be at least 89" wide, so manufacturers have less opportunity to shortcut on ingredients.

Anyway, if anyone knows where I can obtain my sofa (or one with similar characteristics)for a good price via the Internet, please do not hesitate to leave a comment...


Comments:
Thank you for the great ideas on buying such fabulous sofas! Great post of you!
 
When you are seeking home theater that will do more than simply hold your components, look to buildbedroom.com options. It offers a variety of home theater furniture to ensure you can quickly find what you need for any room of the house. A perfect way to join the details of a family room, den, or basement full of stereos and video equipment, this home theater furniture brings everything together in an easy and attractive manner. Home theater furniture can resemble the furniture in your living room or can be the bolted seating variety that you use in a movie theater. The home theater that resembles the furniture in your living room can include seating such as chairs and couches. You can arrange the chairs and couches in arrangements that are suitable to the size of your widescreen television. The material, which may be used to create the coverings for your home theater seating, can include woven, leather and synthetic. You will find that your home theater furniture can be matched to create your ideal home theater in any color, finish or material. You can find complementary pieces from seating, cabinetry and accessories. Your home theater can match the local movie theater or it can be a customized design that is meant to be a true reflection of your personal style and imagination.
 
I just stumbled across this blog looking for reviews on the Lane Wakefield. I'm going to purchase one, and found it at my local furniture store (a great one!) for $899. I'm not sure if they will ship to you or not, but it's worth a shot. Talsma furniture in Byron Center, MI.
 
I found this same sofa as pictured at JC Penney in Chattanooga for $899. If you choose a different color of leather their would be an additional charge
 
Browse our best collections of leather sofa furniture from casamodern.com
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Nice tips regarding buying leather sofas. I really appreciated it. It will surely help a lot. Thank you and keep posting.




real estate in Philippines
 
Sofa sets that are convertible to beds are wonderful ideas if you are into practicality since they serve various purposes. However, this type of sofa may not be appropriate for your living room if you do not have enough space for a bed once you do convert it into a bed or you might require leather repair Austin in case scratches or stains are made.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?